Thursday, November 17, 2011

Girl Talk: Nostalgia Concert Review

Band: Girl Talk Opener: Max Tundra
Date: March 18, 2011
Location: The Fox Theater


Preconceived Thoughts of the Band: I got introduced to Girl Talk when I was swamping music with a friend of mine. It was then that I also got introduced with the genre Mash-up. Pretty self-explanatory, but it's pretty much when the DJ mixes two songs together and the elements from each to make a completely new song. It's far from sampling and it's not considered a new song. His music is always upbeat and at time nostalgic because of the music he mixes. I thought his concert would be a dance party just like Passion Pit.







What Actually Happened (BITCH SPOILER ALERT?!) - A friend of a mine got me free VIP tickets to this concert. We got there a met up with his other friend and we got into the venue. It was my first time at The Fox and I was just in awe by how beautiful it was. There was so much detail in the venue. The ushers treated us extra nice because we were VIP and a big deal. We got a special section of the venue right below pit area but we were still allowed to go to pit. I had my drink in the VIP section talking with my friends. The opener was up.


Max Tundra had a very small set up on stage. He had some weird instruments and was mixing the majority of the time. He was very energetic but the audience wasn't having it. He was trying his best to get the audience to interact but everyone was talking to themselves. It kinda made me sad. He did throw some familiar songs into his mix, but it was an effort. Apparently, Max Tundra was performing at his last tour ever.


Right after the opener ended, we all decided to go to pit. We were pretty far from the stage. Girl Talk took like 30 minutes for him to come out! it was ridiculous but by the looks of the crew they were having a hard time assembling the stage. I knew as soon as Girl Talk perform, everyone starts dancing and jumping and we head closer to the stage. It was extremely rowdy. 


The music was great. It sounded like he was mixing live at the concert. He was a complete mess. He was shirtless with long hair and sweaty! Everyone was dancing, but the pit was completely crowded, I barely had any shoulder room. My friend was having a horrible time. He was in pain so he decided to go to the VIP area instead and left me alone. It was somewhat painful. On my right side, there were bros completely drunk and fist pumping at EVERY song!!


Girl Talk's set was ridiculously long but it was amazing! he came back for a 30 min encore as well!! The visual went well with the music and after the encore he it rained balloons! After meeting everyone again, we start heading to the parking lot and we realized it closed two hours prior to the concert ending. We were stuck in Oakland and we all had to go back to Stockton. We called the building office and started walking around. Luckily we found a security guard leaving for the night. He opened the door and we didn't have to pay! Sweet! It sucked that I got home around 2:30 am while I had something to do that day. blahhh


Verdict - Great concert! It felt like dance party just like Passion Pit. Too many bros and that I would have had a horrible time if we got stranded in Oakland but it was good.


Bitch Rate - 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment