Friday, November 4, 2011

Mayday Parade, We Are the In Crowd, You Me At Six, There For Tomorrow: Concert Review


Band:  Mayday Parade, We Are the In Crowd, You Me At Six, There For Tomorrow
Date: November 2, 2011
Location: The Regency Theater, San Francisco, CA 







Preconceived Thoughts of the Band: Starting with the headlining band, I have been a fan of Mayday Parade for years now and have seen them live multiple times, including at The Bamboozle Festival in New Jersey. As for all the other opening bands, I had never seen them live before. However, I had listened to We Are The In Crowd and You Me At Six before, and I remember not really liking them. Then again, at least specifically for We Are The In Crowd, I usually am not a big fan of chick singers. 


What Actually Happened (BITCH SPOILER ALERT) - 
We got to the venue about 45 minutes after the doors opened. We missed the first opening band, The 


Make. When we got inside, There For Tomorrow had already started. Since we had missed the beginning of their set, I was slightly confused because it was only one guy playing acoustic. I'm not really sure why the whole band wasn't playing, because he said that they would all be out in the merch area afterwards to meet people. Maybe they were sick? No idea. Anyhow, I really didn't like this guys vibe. He seemed like a total prick, wearing skinny jeans and a scarf and a hipster little hat. He literally was like "Sup ladies?" While he was playing. Now, yes, I know I am totally judging him based on personality and looks. So to be fair, his musical skills weren't totally horrible. His voice wasn't bad and he was pretty good at guitar. I probably would have been into it if it wasn't an acoustic set and it was the whole band. That's my preference at least. 


After he finished You Me At Six played. Having only listened to their music once and not knowing much about them, I was very surprised when there was a huge fan base there to see them. Literally, people screaming like crazy when they came out. Then I noticed why. Sorry to fangirl for a moment...but omg...they were really really reallyyyyyyyyyy attractive. And British. I'll leave it at that. Besides their looks, they could really play too. They really had a great stage presence, especially the lead singer. He was all over the stage, getting the crowd pumped. They definitely won me over as a new fan. 




After You Me At Six played I was pretty pumped for the rest of the show. However, like I said I am really not a big fan of girl singers. So when they came on I was already really skeptical We Are the In Crowd. Alright, bitch time. To start off, they have two singers, a male and a female (still, I hate that too). The girl singer was sick. I'm assuming some type of cold, since she had a hoarse voice, but I guess she decided just to tough it out and play the show. This was probably a bad idea. She really couldn't sing that night and was making it really awkward. She kept making comments about it. She also sat down the entire set, which really lowered the energy of the crowd I felt. On top of her sickness, she also was having technical difficulties with her earpiece to hear herself. And while she was singing she was making comments about both her voice and not being able to hear. On her part, it was just a complete fail. While the technical part isn't totally her fault, her reaction was bad and it was overall just really annoying to watch and listen to. The male singer of We Are The In Crowd also pissed me off. He seemed like a total jerk in general. On top of all the awkwardness with the girl, he didn't even try to smooth some of that out. Instead when he was talking he was like, yeah this sucks, and I'm totally drunk. When he said that I basically declared my hate for them then and there. It's not that I'm against being drunk, but in terms of professionalism and their fans and the crowd, it just was totally uncalled for. Their set was overall really awkward, I didn't really like their music, it seemed really forced and unnatural to them and their whole way of handling the issues wasn't the best. 


After the whole We Are The In Crowd disaster I was seriously ready to rock out to something good. Alot of people had actually left after You Me At Six played, so the crowd was actually not that big for Mayday Parade. Regardless, they put on a really sick show. They probably have one of the best stage presences that I have encountered in a while. All of them were running around the stage the entire set, they were high energy, they talked to the audience, and to me, this is exactly what I prefer to see during the show, especially when they are interacting with each other and the audience. I love that. Their set was absolutely awesome. They played fast songs, to slow songs, he even busted out the keyboard and played "Miserable At Best," it was beautiful. It was a really great show, they definitely made up for all the We Are The In Crowd annoyingness, and just put on a great show. I really, really enjoyed it. 




  
You Me at Six


You Me at Six

Mayday Parade 











When I Get Home, You're So Dead



Jamie All Over


Verdict - Out of the 4 bands I saw, 2 of them pissed me off beyond belief. However, since You Me At Six gained me as a new fan and Mayday Parade rocked, I came out more happy than annoyed.


Bitch Rate - 3 /5 







Set list:
Oh Well Oh Well
Jersey
Anywhere But Here
When You See My Friends
Jamie All Over
When I Get Home You’re So Dead
Miserable at Best
Stay
Walk on Water or Drown
No Heroes Allowed
Kids in Love
Black Cat
One Man Drinking Games

+ Encore, but I dont remember. I know one was Three Cheers for Five Years. I just dont remember the last song :/ Sorry!


No comments:

Post a Comment