Friday, October 28, 2011

Nostalgia Concert Review: Passion Pit

Band: Passion Pit Openers: Mayer Hawthorne and the County and The Middle East
Date: April 14, 2010
Location: UC Davis Campus


Sorry once again for not going to any current concerts. I am broke. as always






Preconceived Thoughts of the Band: Passion Pit was all over my playlist the end of my freshman year of college. Their EP Chunk of Change was constantly on repeat especially the song Cuddle Fuddle. After Manners came out, the exploded with Sleepy Head and The Reeling as their singles. Their music is just so catchy. Heavy synths and drums with high vocals; Almost sounds like a dance version of Sigur Ros. Weeks before their concert, I was hearing some live stuff on youtube, and oh man. I couldn't get a feel for the singer's voice. It sounded to forced and annoying. I was freaking out, but I didn't want to base off my idea of them off a youtube clip.


I got introduced to The Middle East by a friend of mine. Blood is so beautifully crafted with almost every acoustic instrument available. That song is structured perfectly, quiet and then climatic.


I never heard of Mayer and I wished I never did....





What Actually Happened (BITCH SPOILER ALERT!!!) - So we get to the venue, all my friends rush to the stage, but I wanted to check out merch, to see if there were any posters on sale. I started heading to merch, when I see someone very familiar. I couldn't believe my eyes so I start speedwalking. I get there and I just stare at one of the merch guys. I practically yelled to him "Are you the bassist of Passion Pit?"
"Yeah, I'm Jeff". I freak out and shake his hand, and immediately start talking to him. It was amazing. We talked about school, music, his tattoos, remixes etc. My favorite part was his story on making the newest LP. They were practically drunk during the sessions that the label had to bring a producer to get them in line. It was amazing how the passion pit "fans" were like 3 feet away from a member of the band and they completely were oblivious to it. It's kinda sad how the relationship of the artist and fan is drifting away. 
During our talk, The Middle East were playing their set. My friends were concerned about me so they wanted to check up on me. When they found me they almost dragged me to the stage, but I told them that I was talking to the bassist of the band and they freak out as well. He had to leave for soundcheck, but it was amazing to meet and talk to one of the memebers.


I got to the front of the stage just in time to see The Middle East last song "Blood". I was kinda disappointed. It sounded way too thin. Their needed to be brass at the end and the mix sounded horrible. The singer was just too loud and everyone yelling at the end made it 10 times worse. Oh well. It wasn't a big deal. 


During sets my friends were being verbally harrasted by some Davis bros. Damn they're freaking everywhere!? Since when did they start listening to music beyond Dave Matthews and Nickelback? To top it all off, they were extremely drunk. They then put all their anger on this small asian girl that was trying to get to the front my friends had enough and started like "fighting" with them. it was pretty bad. I was getting scared we were about to get kicked off the concert, but all of a sudden they left. 


So I look back on stage and I see these guys in a suit all in uniform. Next thing I know they start playing like this cheezy rock. IT WAS HORRIBLE. I couldn't stand it. The band didn't look like they were having a good time. The drummer had his head down the majority of their set. The signer was full of himself. There were some drunk girls right behind me yelling in my ear. After he played a song that people requested him on twitter, those drunk girls left. They weren't gonna stay for Passion Pit? wow!






Passion Pit get on stage, and everything just turns into a dance party! The lights just go all out and everyone is jumping with the music, but all get separated. My friend gets in front of these drunk girls that are hitting her. She starts getting mad and I told her not to cause a scene but she couldn't take it anymore. She turns around and tells them to knock it off. They have their tail between their legs the whole set. They play everything form Manners and Chunk of Change even a cover by the Cranberries, but they didn't play Cuddle Fuddle! I was extremely pissed. Whatever. On a lighter note, the singer wasn't that bad life. Twas a good night.




Verdict- Once again, headliners owned. This tour package was too weird. Acoustic, Cheezy Rock, and Dance Rock? Cmon!!


Bitch Rate - 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment