Thursday, November 24, 2011

Noah and the Whale: Concert Review

Band: Noah And The Whale and Nikki Lane
Date: November 22, 2011
Location: House Of Blues Anaheim, CA




Preconceived Thoughts of the Band: I got introduced to Noah and the Whale from a mix CD I got a year ago. I enjoyed their music. The singer sounds like a mix of Mumford and Son and Frightened Rabbit. Their music is acoustic based driven by finger picking guitar and soothing violin playing. My favorite tracks would have to be the fast paced song Rocks And Daggers to the powerful anthem song First Day Of Spring




What Actually Happened (BITCH SPOILER ALERT) - After being in Stockton for 4 months, I finally had a break to go back home. That meant I would just be in my house the whole break. I decided to take the initiative and actually go out, so I checked out what the venues by my house. I realized then that Noah and the Whale were going to play at HOB. I decided I would go for it, but none of my friends really listen to my music, so i asked my sister to come along with me. She was excited since it's was her first rock concert ever! 

We get to the box office a couple of minutes after doors open. We get the tickets and walk into the venue. HOB is very decorated and is known for African American art and blues music. I've been to that venue about 5 times and the thing I don't like the about the venue is the pit area. It is extremely small and crowded. The pit is broken down into two sections so it's awkward to be around the pit area without being inside. Since my sister is barely 5 feet it would have been ridiculous to be in pit, she wouldn't be able to see anything. So we decided to get on the side of the pit. 

Nikki Lane came up first. She looked exactly like Zooey Deschanel! Her hair, her makeup, and her style. She was wearing a British flag dress for Noah and the Whale. I liked her style of music. It was acoustic with a country feel. I could barely hear her because the PA system was away from me so her singing was muffled. Her stage presence was a little dull, but she talked to the audience alot. 



Noah and the Whale came on at exactly 9. They all looked great with their suits. More like a modern day Beatles band. They started their set strong and loud. I was confused during their first songs. I wasn't expecting a "rock" concert. I thought I was going to see acoustic guitars not electric, but I was enjoying it.


I couldn't help looking at the singer. He was just so awkward on stage, especially with his dancing. The venue was too small for visual but they made it up for it by syncing the lights with the music. They interacting with the band here and there.




There was a moment of scare from the pit. On the left side of me there was a girl stumbling. She could stand straight and her head hit straight into the rail. Her friend had to get her out. As she was getting up the stairs she looked at my sister, super pale, ready to throw up on her but her friend pushed her as fast as she could. It completely scared her.


Their set was diverse and their encore ended with First Day of Spring, which sounded ALOT more epic than the studio version. At one point of the song the lights were completely out and all I could see was their silhouette. It reminded me of Sigur Ros.


My sister first concert was a success! She wanted their discography. I wanted to know if I missed something from their albums. Turns out they released a new album in May and when I heard it, it made complete sense! Totally my bad!


Verdict - Great concert, horrible venue.

Setlist
  1. Encore:



Bitch Rate - 1/5

No comments:

Post a Comment