Thursday, November 3, 2011

Paramore, New Found Glory, Tegan and Sara: Nostalgia Concert Review


Band: Paramore Openers: New Found Glory, Tegan and Sara
Date: September 23, 2010
Location: HP Pavilion, San Jose, CA








Preconvcied Thoughts of the Band: Paramore was too "hard" for me to get into. The guitars were too "loud" and "distorted". Well, what I'm trying to say is that they didn't have that punk rock sound that was I was used to and listening to. The hardcore scene was becoming prominent when I was in middle school and I didn't want to go all "emo". Also I wasn't all into their image as well. Skinny jeans, tight shirts, and raging red hair. Nope. Not for me.


I was excited to find out that New Found Glory was opening for Paramore. I've been a fan of theirs since middle school. They were also as pop punk as blink 182, but they were had more of an edgy hardcore sound. My history teacher got me into that band. Understatement, My Friends Over You, and Sonny were instant sellers for me.


I heard about Tegan and Sara my freshman year in college, but I didn't listen to them religiously. I knew that "Sainthood" was released months before the tour, so I listened to it beforehand and I enjoyed it. A true Tegan and Sara fan told me that their new album didn't do justice for their old stuff, but I was willing to listen what they had to offer.


Relic was suppose to go, but she couldn't make it. So she gave me a discount...SWEET!!







What Actually Happened (BITCH SPOILER ALERT!!!) - I didn't know that the "venue" was actually an arena. I'm not the biggest fan of an arena concert because it's not as intimate as a small venue or a club, but it's understandble. In retrospect, the honda civic tour is kind of a big deal. When we get the arena, I was just bombared with advertisement. Merch tents were EVERYWHERE!!! well, there were tents everywhere, with sponsorships. I didn't know how much money was being pumped into this. I felt this concert was more a business, then a musical experience, but once I got into pit area, it competely changed.


So, for this concert, I thought that I should dress "cute", which was wearing jewerly, a skirt and gladiator sandles. BAD IDEA! I broke my own rule of concert attire. I couldn't move around because I thought if I started moshing, my toes would get crushed, and if I jumped, EVERYTHING would show. And if I started dancing, i felt like my jewerly would get stuck in a girl's hair and drama would start. It completely sucked!!!


New Found Glory came out, and I nearly cried. They started out with some old school songs such as Understatement , and I started yelling out the lyrics, but no one was singing along. I noticed that I was the old person of the crowd. I look around and there's these pre-pubesent boys that are just standing with their arms crossed. I couldn't believe what was going on!! No one was pumped up for them. Even my group of friends were standing still. When their hit song "My Friends Over You" started playing I see a wall of dudes just charge everyone in front of them; moshing and hitting everyone until they were all at the front. New Found Glory were great live. Sucks the audience wasn't feeling it. They are too young to know about them.






Tegan and Sara opener was pretty interesting. They use visuals the beginning. They had a big screen with a silhouette of the them while playing Animal Collective. They come out and everyone gets crazy!! Tegan and Sara had a very clean sound. They were very interactive with their fans and the visuals were there, but it was very tamed. At one point of the song, Tegan forgot the lyrics to the second verse of a song...and what does she do? she starts socializing and talking to the crowd. She asked Sara for help, but It looked like she was enjoying it. Overall, they put on a great show, even though, I only knew like 3 songs.






Finally the long awaited headliner of the show, Paramore. They came in with so much energy. It was so unexpected. The crowd was feeding off of it and giving it back to her. Haley Williams was just running back and forth. Her red hair was vibrant and all over the place. They were just nonstop; one song after another. At some point during their set list, they bring a sofa and some lamps, and it becomes an intimate setting. Then it turned into an acoustic set! AMAZING!!


After a couple of songs and cover songs. They bring it back and just go non-stop. Their visuals were amazing!! They all had close cameras by them, and then it would switch with videos about them, riding bikes, walking, eating etc. Some visuals actually went on with the music. The last song was "Misery Business" and all hell broke lose!! The lights started going crazy, the crowd starts yelling and moshing. During the interlude, Haley starts bring fans to stage. She gives the microphone to a fan and shes starts singing the bridge. Then all of sudden, confetti comes shooting out! It was a great ending! when I check out the time, I realized their set was over an hour and a half! SWEETT






Verdict - They were all amazing!!! I suck. I haven't work a skirt or sandels since the incident. loser points for me.


Bitch Rate 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment