Saturday, September 24, 2011

Concert Review: Maroon 5 and Train

Band: Maroon 5 and Train
Date: September 15, 2011
Location: Sleep Train Pavilion, Concord, California




Preconceived Thoughts of the Band - 
     This is my first (and hopefully last) "mainstream" concert that I've been too. I've heard of maroon 5 through their singles such as "She Will be Loved" when I was like 12 but I never got into that band. Why? It sounded to adult contemporary rock and I couldn't deal with Adam's singing. It sounded like he had something caught in his throat. I was also in a pop punk phase where blink-182 and New Found Glory were on repeat.
     As for train, they passed my generation. I can remember "Drops of Jupiter" being a huge hit on Top 40 radio, but I was too young too appreciate it. It was also out of my genre. 
     Either way, they both have solid careers and an establish fan base. Being a "mainstream" concert I expect the best from them, from the sounds, music and visuals. 







What Actually Happened (BITCH SPOILER ALERT) - 
     It was my first time at this venue, so we got lost on our way there. The venue is actually a hill. I had to climb all the way up to the entrance, and then go back all the way down for the stage. A friend of mine bought the tickets at a radio giveaway, so I expected at least general admission, but nope. We got the lawn section. Since we came late we missed the opener, Matt Nathanson.  Like I said, we were late so we were stuck in the back of lawn. The audience was somewhat diverse, but the majority were middle aged women, with heels and well dressed. I felt out of place. 
     Maroon 5 was the first band to perform. Their visuals were AMAZING! but i little too much. The music was well performed. The thing that stuck me the most was Adam's singing! It sounded a lot clearer! I only know like 3 songs because their were singles so the majority of the time I had my hands cross while nodding my head.
     As I kept looking at the audience I see a lot of people in sleeping blankets sleeping through their performance. I saw these kids in their sleeping bags watching a movie through a portable DVD player.Weirdest audience yet.






     Train's performance was amazing! The singer kept teasing the audience by singing the beginning of "Soul Sister". At one point he brought like 20 girl on stage, and while he was talking to the audience he was cussing in front of the girls. AWKWARD. They did two covers, U2 "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" and Rihanna's "Umbrella" and after that the cellist started dancing with the lead singer and it almost looked too dramatic. 


Verdict - 
Overall I was blown away at this mainstream concert. My expectations were low, but were blown away by their performance. I think I would have had more fun if I was at general admission and the lawn audience weren't so sleepy during the performances!!!


Bitch Rate -
2.5/5


--Wolf James

No comments:

Post a Comment