Thursday, September 22, 2011

Concert Review: Fleet Foxes, and The Walkmen.

Band- Fleet Foxes and The Walkmen
Date - September 10, 2011
Location - The Greek Theater, Berkeley, California






Preconceived Thought of the Bands-
     I can't say anything mean about Fleet Foxes. I love their first album and their second is better produced and composed. They experimented with their sounds and instrumentation which gives them a unique signature sound that a lot of bands don't have now. My friends saw them two years ago with Blitzen Trapper at the Fox Theater, and with confidence they stated that it was the best concert they have ever been to. So my expectations were extremely high. I also thought for their style of music it would be a very intimate setting with little or no stage presence. 
     I did not know that The Walkmen opened for them, and for a moment I was quite confused at this tour package. From what I heard, they sound more edgy, more punk rock than the acoustic atmosphere of Fleet Foxes. Their music is more upbeat and has more electric guitar. I only have their newest one, so I was looking forward to listen to their old catalog. 





What actually happened (BITCH SPOILER ALERT) - 
     It was my first time at the Greek and instantly fell in love with it. the pit was small but everyone made space for each other. It's an outside venue and did not know so I had to deal with the cold weather through out the opener, so that completely sucked. I completely disregarded the bay area weather. I was completely right, The Walkmen did not impress me!!!! They had horrible stage presence. Their heads were down, completely motionless. Their setlist was all but slow and draggy.No one was singing along. It made me sleepy. Other people were not feeling it and some were actually talking during their set, including myself.  For some reason I thought they were younger, but they looked in their mid-40s, which is the least of my concern, but for sure they acted like that. They just lacked stage presence. I was pretty much done with them.






     During the intermission a slightly intoxicated girl came up to me and asked "Do you love Robin?" completely slurring her words. It took me a couple of times to understand what she was saying. Then when I understood, I said sure, and she pointed to the stage to a ragged, long haired man with a red hoodie. I didn't have the heart to tell her it wasn't him, but her hopes where so high. When the actual Robin came on stage, he had a green flannel, and short hair, and a shaggy beard. Then I turned around and she was gone. "Fans" are so humerus. 


     As for Fleet Foxes, my expectations were met. Their first vocal harmonies just struck me in such a way. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I didn't like the way their altered his voice though. I know their signature sound is the use of reverb but I wanted to hear him in his rawest form. A friend of mine told me his voice wasn't resonating around the venue. It was cut short at certain point and he sounded muddy for some parts. Another thing that somewhat annoyed me was the images shown. It was too bright and way too distracting. I had to cover my eyes while enjoying their set. 


    In the middle of songs, their were confused on setlist. It was an awkward two minutes, then all of a sudden the drummer starts playing some jazz. Then the pianist started playing obscure chords and the lead guitarist started epically failing at his solo. It was a pretty good laugh. 






Verdict - 
     I thoroughly enjoyed Fleet Foxes. As for The Walkmen, I never want to see them again.


Bitch Rate - 
2/5


--Wolf James

No comments:

Post a Comment