Sunday, September 25, 2011

Brand New: Review


Band: Brand New
Date: September 9, 2011
Location: Senator Theater, Chico, CA











Preconceived Thoughts of the Band -

Brand New is my all time favorite band, but this was my first time seeing them live. Before going to the show, I had heard mixed reviews from other fans about their live shows. Some things that I had heard was that their live performance were not nearly as good as their recorded albums. I heard that usually the band was off and Jesse (the lead singer) didn't always sound good. I really wasn't sure what to expect, but since they are my favorite band and I had never seen them before, I would decide then. One thing I was concerned about before the show was the fans though. When you are a Brand New fan...you are a BRAND NEW FAN. You live, breathe and exist in the realms of their music. I'm not going to lie, I am definitely one of those kinds of fans, however, I have proper concert etiquette, something that a lot of other concerts goers dont necessarily have.



What Actually Happened (BITCH SPOILER ALERT) -
I got to Chico at about 330 PM and drove by the theater before stopping by the hotel I was staying at. I thought that Brand New would generate a line of fans way before the concert started, but surprisingly there were only about 10 people outside. This might have been due to the 100 + degree weather that day. I got in line some time between 5 and 530 and the doors were scheduled to open at 7. I had a pretty decent spot in line and in the shade, so that was a plus. After waiting that hour and a half sweating my eyes out, we were finally let into the theater a little bit after 7. I ended up buying some merchandise (tshirt and a sweater) and then waited down in the pit for the next 3 hours.

Brand New had 2 opening bands, Sainthood Reps and The Robbers. Both bands played for about 30 minutes, with about a 20 minute set up time in between bands. Both bands were pretty good, but the crowd was too anxious for Brand New to come out. Finally, around 10 PM the lights dimmed and the band walked on stage. I had been about 3rd row in at the pit and I was getting smashed, pushed and pulled as Jesse Lacey walked to the mic. They opened with my one of my all time favorite songs, Sowing Season. The crowd was really intense, we got hurled around so much that by the end of the the 3rd song, we decided to move back. It wasn't enjoyable worrying about falling down, I was too into the music to worry about that.

After we moved the crowd was still intense, but there was less shoving. Just good times as people screamed their lungs out with Jesse. Everyone was sweating so hard. I have personally never sweated as much as I did at the show. It was just dripping EVERYWHERE. There was literally no point in me doing my hair beforehand, I came out looking way worse than I went in.

Throughout the entire show, the energy in the crowd was unlike no other I had experienced before. Like I said, most Brand New fans are hardcore fans. Wherever I was standing, all the people around me knew every song and every lyric. It was awesome to be around people who were are moved and as pumped about each song they played. Jesse sang along to the guitar part during Jesus Christ, which was magical. The only crappy part was the asshole bros that were at the show. I was surprised actually by the amount of bros there, but they definitely hindered my experience in the crowd and waiting in line.

The end of the show was fantastic. They closed with Soco Amaretto Lime, and at the end of the last verse as everyone was singing "They're just jealous cause we're young and in love.." Jesse started singing "I'm just jealous cause you're young and in love." Basically, the most awesome thing ever. It was just him, the mic and the perfect lighting to end the night.

Set List:

-Sowing Season
-Gasoline
-Vices
-Millstone
-Bought A Bride
-SInk
-Okay, I Believe You, But My Tommy Gun Dont
-I Will Play My Guitar Beneath the Spin Light
-The Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot
-Jude Law and a Semester Abroad
-Seventy Times 7
-Sic Transit Gloria...Glory Fades
-Degausser
-You Wont Know
-At the Bottom
-Jesus
-Soco Amaretto Lime

Verdict -
So I may be biased for this one, but for me this was hands down one of the best live shows I have ever been to. Brand New put on an amazing show with a flawless set list. They played a good amount of songs from almost every album, so it was really thorough for all fans. Jesse's voice was spot on and with every "yeah" he sang you can hear the soul in the voice. It was just powerful. All the music was spot on also, it was pretty flawless to me. All the worries and complaints I had heard from other fans or people who had seen them live totally were not relevant to this show.
Bitch Rate -
1/5



--Relic




No comments:

Post a Comment