Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Concert Review: Beirut

Band: Beirut
Date: October 1, 2011
Location: The Fox Theater, Oakland, Ca




Preconceived Thoughts of the Band - My current roommate introduced me to them about 2 years ago with the track "Elephant Gun", and I became an instant fan. I loved the use of trumpets, french horns, trombones, and tubas. They have very unusual sounds which is made by their unusual use of instruments. My music management professor mentioned the band a couple of times during his lectures. I wouldn't consider their sound to be a platform for every band to copy, but it is a unique sound that makes them stand out.

What Actually Happened (BITCH SPOILER ALERT) - So being the procrastinator I am, I bought the ticket days before the actual date. General Admission was sold out, so I had to get balcony for the same price as General Admission. I was extremely pissed!! The fee was extremely high as well, but I promised my friend I would go. 
     I love the Fox Theater. It's one of my favorite venues on Nor Cal. We met up with a friend of hers, and I told her my situation of seating. Since shes the expert in concert etiquette she told me to play stupid to the ushers and pretend to go to General Admission. So I followed them to the door to pit. I pretended I knew where pit was, but one of the ushers told me I was at balcony. I  frowned on my ticket and said ok, and walked up the stairs to balcony. 5 ushers later, I found my seat: it was insanely high and far away from the stage. I couldn't believe it! I was next to a couple under the blankets. I was so uncomfortable. My friends called me again to see where I was. I told them i had a plan, but they would have to wait for a couple of minutes. I sat there for about two minutes, breathed in and this time, I would just go with the flow.
     I got up from my seat, walked down to the bar, got myself a gin and tonic. Went back down again, by General Admission, and looked for an usher I could take advantage of. I went to the busiest line, because at that point I thought they were becoming restless. It was an old man by the door, I gave him my ticket, looked at it for a second. He looked at me and just told me to hold on to it. SWEETT!! My friends were right by the door, shocked that I pulled it off. 


Concert - We didn't know who the opener was. Apparently, she was in Stereolab, so that was a big plus. It was a very intimate setting. She was started her song with just a guitar. It had a very atmospheric sound. A lot of reverb on guitar and her voice, but her voiced sounded muddy. I couldn't understand. Later on, I figured out she was singing in French. She had a thick french accent during sets. Her music was mellow, but honestly boring. All the song sounded the same, sort of like Travis Vick. Like I said before, once I heard that one song, I heard it all. The second to last song, members of Beirut came out and played with her. Now that lit up the room. It was very uplifting. 




     Beirut came on 20 minutes later, with blasting horns and booming sousaphone. Their music were pretty much slow. The drummer was pretty much keeping beat, at some songs though the added syncopation, but the real player of the band was the accordion. He started off the songs, and all the instruments follow him. He supported the horns, which sounded so majestic. I can't really describe their music. I feel its a hybrid of a big band and a parade. They put on a huge concert that they did an encore twice. That tuba solo was too legit!!!






Verdict - Beirut was amazing hands down. They are not the fastest or danciest band but man do they sway their fans. As for the opener, ehhh...after the concert an indie folk band played outside. Tumbleweed Wanderers would have been a better act than the opener. I forgot her name. 
THANK YOU USHER MAN!


Bitch Rate - 2.5/5


--Wolf James

No comments:

Post a Comment